for TMS students' performances and achievements
MN-NATS 1st, 2nd, and 3rd!
TMS made a strong showing at Minnesota NATS (National Teachers of Singing) Fall Competition at St. John's University in November 2017. I am SO tremendously proud of all of you!!!!! Bravo tutti!!!!!
- David Timm (Sibley HS '18) won 1st Place in High School Men's Classical Division.
- David Timm (Sibley HS '18) won 1st Place in High School Men's Musical Theater Division.
- Emma Bearss (Central HS '18) won 2nd Place in High School Women's Upper Class Classical Division.
- Natalie Harrison (Edina HS '20) won 3rd Place in High School Women's Lower Cllass Classical Division.
- Alex Meyer (Math and Science Academy '19) semi-finalist in High School Men's Classical Division.
- Kelly Myers (Mounds Park Academy '18) semi-finalist in High School Women's Upper Class Division.
FALL NEWS, CONGRATULATIONS, AND HONORS
- Ingrid Haugen is the newest soprano in one of the Twin Cities' newest professional choirs, Border Crossings
- Emma Bearss (Central H.S. '18) was selected as an apprentice for Project Opera of the Minnesota Opera.
- Carl Rosamilia will be appearing in Ashland Productions The Adams Family and The Gilbert and Sullivan's Very Light Opera Company's production of Princess Ida (Cyril).
- Paul Gutmann will be appearing in the Minnesota Opera's production of Le Nozze di Figaro, Mill City Opera's production of Carmen, and the Gilbert and Sullivan Very Light Opera Company's production of Princess Ida.
- India Stewart Pelster-Wiebe (Central HS '21)) a member of Project Opera, was selected to be in Minnesota Opera's world premiere opera Dead Man Walking.
- Abby Feuer (East Ridge HS '19) was selected for ACDA's 2018 Regional Honor Choir.
Sending all best wishes to this years graduating seniors!!
- Rachel Countryman will attend the College of St. Benedict where she received a music scholarship and will major in education.
- Isabelle Jones will attend the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities where she will pursue a degree in engineering.
- Natalie Maxam will attend Boston College where she will study communications and continue singing in the choir.
- Maddie Stoffel will be attending the University of Wisconsin, LaCrosse where she will pursue a degree in Music Theater Performance.
- Erica Thelen will be attending Oberlin Conservatory of Music on scholarship where she will study opera/vocal performance.
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Congratulations to Paul Gutmann who will be starring as the Beast in Fridley Community Theater's production of Beaty and the Beast this July.
The studio hit a record this year with five students being accepted into the Minnesota All-State Choir!! Congratulations to Emma Bearss, Abby Feuer, Emma Madeux, Kelly Myers, and David Timm who will spend a week at St. Olaf in August and then perform at Orchestra Hall in February of 2018.
It is the "choral heartland" after all so it is fitting that so many singers should be singing this spring!
- The Singers: Minnesota Choral Artists ( Beth Althof, Carolyn Swanson, and Megan Skubic) will present their program (my personal favorite program of theirs!!) My Soul's Repose the first weekend in April.
- The Minnesota Chorale (Mark Countryman and Liz Pauly) is preparing Carmina Burana and several more programs this spring.
- The National Lutheran Choir (Colleen Cook) will be wrapping up their season with a tour and a spring gala.
- The Oratorio Society of MN (Jo Ann Musumeci) will be giving the world premiere of Randall Thompson's Requiem in April.
HANSEL AND GRETEL
Garden of Song's third season brings a production of Hansel and Gretel featuring TMS's Taylor Van Denburgh as The Witch. This production will be in English and in the intimate Baroque Room (Downtown St. Paul) - a great first opera if you've never been or even want to bring the kiddos!
SPRING MUSICAL HIGHLIGHTS!!
Several high schools will feature TMS students with leads in their spring musicals this year: David Timm (Sibley HS) as Harold Hill in The Music Man, Kaitlyn Maynard (Simley HS) as Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes, and John Gisselquist (St. Paul Academy) as Arvide Abernathy in Guys and Dolls. Congratulations, all!!
FALL 2016 SPOTLIGHT AWARDS ANNOUNCED
Congratulations to three leading ladies: Alison Anderson (North St. Paul H.S. '18) received Outstanding Performance in a Lead Role for playing Ariel in Footloose, Rachel Countryman (Cretin-Derham Hall '17) received Outstanding Performance in a Lead Role for playing Amalia in She Loves Me, and Kat Grannis (East Ridge High School '19) received Outstanding Performance in a Lead Role for playing Ariel in The Little Mermaid.
CARNEGIE HALL BOUND
Senior Isabelle Jones was selected for the second year in a row to join the HaZamir Chamber Choir. Isabelle will rehearse in Boston and then perform with this international Jewish choir at Carnegie Hall in the spring of 2017.
NATIONAL ACDA PERFORMANCES
David Timm (Sibley High School '18) and Kat Grannis (East Ridge High School '19) were selected to join the National Choir of the American Choral Directors Association. They will sing at Orchestra Hall when the national conference comes to Minneapolis in March 2017 and will sing under the direction of choral superstar, Eric Whitacre. This promises to be an amazing experience...congratulations to you both!!
Maddie Stoffel (St. Croix Preparatory Academy '17) auditioned and was selected to be a part of a group of high school singers joining two joining professional choirs (VocalEssence and The Singers: Minnesota Choral Artists) on the opening concert of the National ACDA Convention held in Minneapolis in March 2017.
Two TMS students placed in the finals of the MN chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing fall auditions at St. John's University on November 5, 2016. Maddie Stoffel (St. Croix Prep Academy Class of '17) took 3rd place in the High School Women's Musical Theater category and John Gisselquist (Saint Paul Academy Class of '18) won 1st place in High School Men's Musical Theater!! Let's have a big round of applause for Maddie and John!!!
David Timm (Sibley High School Class of '18), representing the city of Mendota Heights, placed 5th overall in the Minnesota Sings competition! David performed an arrangement of Gershwin's "Our Love is Here to Stay" and was selected as a finalist from over 70+ entries.
Abby Feuer (East Ridge High School) was chosen to sing the national anthem at a Saint Paul Saints game later this May!! I'm sure she'll "knock it right outa the park!!" (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)
Congratulations to David Timm (Sibley High School) who was selected to be a part of the 2016-17 MMEA All-State Choir and Alison Anderson (North St. Paul High School) who was selected as a 2016-17 MMEA All-State Choir Alternate.
The Hennepin Theater Trust Spotlight Awards have recently recognized four TMS students: Christina Ipolitti (East Ridge High School) received "Outstanding Performance in a Lead Role" for her performance as Hodel in Fiddler on the Roof, Kat Grannis (East Ridge High School) received "Outstanding Performance in a Supporting Role" for her performance as Frumah Sarah in Fiddler on the Roof, Maddie Stoffel received an Honorable Mention for her performance as Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, and David Timm (Sibley High School) received an "Outstanding Performance in a Lead Role" for playing Kinnicky/Teen Angel in Grease and an Honorable Mention for his performance as Arvide Abernathy in Guys and Dolls . They will participate in a week long workshop and then perform at the State Theater in June 2016.
Congratulations to these stellar singers who were cast as the leads in their high school musicals!! Christina Ippoliti (East Ridge High School) as Hodel in Fiddler on the Roof, Isabelle Jones (St. Paul Conservatory for the Performing Arts) as Small Alison in Fun Home, Maddie Stoffel (St. Croix Prep Academy) as Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, Kelly Myers (Mounds Park Academy) as Hodel in Fiddler on the Roof, and Isabella Jurgens (Centennial Middle School) as Nala in The Lion King.
COACHING WITH ITALIAN MAESTRO
Three students are preparing to coach with Maestro Leonardo Marzagaglia who is coming to Minnesota all the way from Milan, Italy. Emily Johnson, Niko Simmons, and Taylor Van Denburgh will be singing for the maestro later this summer where they will coach Bel Canto and other Italian operatic repertoire. Keep any eye out for information on the recital they will be singing as it is open to the public!
GARDEN OF SONG OPERA
Congratulations to Taylor Van Denburgh (2nd Witch, board member) and Emily Johnson (Dido) in their beautiful performances in Henry Purcell's Dido and Aeneas. This opera was the successful debut of the new company, Garden of Song Opera, which is dedicated to providing opportunities for talented young emerging female opera talent.
2015 GRADUATING CLASS
This year represented one of my largest and most talented senior classes. Congratulations to the following students who will be involved in vocal performance and/or musical theater in college! Congratulations and all good things to each of you! Each of you will be missed next year!!
- Maria Gisselquist Vocal Scholarship to Augsburg College
- Sophie Elwood Wesleyan University
- Gabriela Nesheim St. Olaf College
- Willie Pearson University of Wisconsin, La Crosse after a gap year in Central and South America
- Megan Roddy Music Theater Scholarship to University of Wisconsin, La Crosse
- Carl Rosamilia Gap year in Italy before returning for college
- Kayla Sentz The University of St. Catherine
- Kathleen Strahan Wellesley College
CLASSICAL HIGH SCHOOL SINGER
Congratulations to Christina Ippoliti who is advancing to the semi-finals of the national High School Singer Competition. Christina will go to Chicago in May 2015 to compete in the next round. Brava, Christina!
BEST OF SITE
Soprano Christina Ippoliti received a Best-of-Site award for her performance at the Minnesota State High School League contest!
After recently being selected as an "Artist Level" member of Thursday Musical, Carrie Ann Krause performed a set of Spanish songs by Granados and de Falla at the MacPhail Center's Antenello Hall.
SAINT PAUL WINTER CARNIVAL WIN!!!
Shelley Brown has officially been sashed as Klondike Kate for the 2015 St. Paul Winter Carnival. She will have over 300 performances this coming year as the reigning "Kate". Be sure to check out the photos from the competition and the awesome support from the TMS who showed up to cheer her on! They couldn't have picked a better "Mistress of Fun and Frivolity"! Congratulations, Shelley!!
NATIONAL ACDA HONOR CHOIR
Congratulations to Maria Gisselquist and Christina Ippoliti who will sing in the national honor choir in Salt Lake City, UT in February 2015. They were chosen after a nationwide audition that chose singers from all 50 states to sing at the American Choral Directors Association's national conference.
Three TMS singers are participating in the 2014-2015 All-state Choirs...Maria Gisselquist (RAHS), Christina Ippoliti (East Ridge, HS), and Gabriela Nesheim (Central HS). These fine young singers will spend a week in August rehearsing and performing and then will come back together in February 2015 for a concert at Orchestra Hall. Congratulations, ladies!!
Taylor Van Denburgh is starring in "Day into Night" and Mike Croswell and has done the sound design for "Crime and Punishment" ...both productions are in the top-selling shoes of the 2014 Fringe Festival!!!
Congratulations to Tony Sofie for being cast in the lead role in the Minneapolis Musical Theater's upcoming production of "Eating Raoul".